Re: Avoiding the name of an application in Menus?

--- Matthew East <mdke ubuntu com> wrote:

> > Writers: Use whatever the application refers to
> itself as.
> > If the application can't decide what to call
> itself, smack
> > the maintainers.

And just the other day Don was saying on IRC that
documentation isn't glamorous. We get to smack
maintainers!!!! ;)

> *applauds* (although how does one smack a maintainer
> who simply closes
> such bug reports as NOTABUG?)

*joins in*

> > Now, I'm all for saying what an application is in
> the
> > menu, regardless of whether we use the real name.
> > have no problems with items like "Epiphany Web
> Browser".
> > This is what Sound Juicer does right now: Sound
> Juicer
> > CD Ripper.  Best of all worlds.
>
> This is in fact what the HIG says, unfortunately
> someone appears to have
> interpreted it as "cut the name of the application
> out of the menu
> entry", which it doesn't actually say in the HIG
> text at all, apart from
> (as you observe) applications like calculator,
> character map etc.

I don't think it mentions this in connection with
window titles or application names across other parts
of the desktop though.
I would very much like to see app names in the format
"Epiphany Web Browser" all the way across the desktop,
window titles, documentation, etc.
Is this something we could feasibly push for in 2.16?