Re: Avoiding the name of an application in Menus?

On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 12:31 -0600, Shaun McCance wrote:
> On Tue, 2006-02-21 at 16:34 +0000, Calum Benson wrote:
> > On 21 Feb 2006, at 14:12, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> > >
> > > I can *sort of* see the reason for this, because you
> > > get simpler items in the menu, eg 'Archive Manager'.
> > > But the policy isn't carried through system wide,
> > > because when you choose that from the menu, up pops a
> > > window called 'File Roller'!
> >
> > This part was certainly a compromise.  The usability team originally
> > wanted the generic names for core applications to be used throughout
> > the application (except, perhaps, in its About box) as well as on the
> > Applications menu, but some maintainers weren't happy at the prospect
> > of losing their project names.
>
> Writers: Use whatever the application refers to itself as.
> If the application can't decide what to call itself, smack
> the maintainers.

*applauds* (although how does one smack a maintainer who simply closes
such bug reports as NOTABUG?)

> End of the day, the applications need to be referred to
> in more places than just the application menu.  The title
> bar, the help, bugzilla, mailing lists and web forums,
> etc.  These need to be consistent, and if we can't make
> them consistent with the generic name, then we need to
> use the real name.

Absolutely right. The idea that if distributions change their default
application, they should patch the program itself to change the title
bar and menu AND all documentation, is just ridiculous.

> Now, I'm all for saying what an application is in the
> menu, regardless of whether we use the real name.  I
> have no problems with items like "Epiphany Web Browser".
> This is what Sound Juicer does right now: Sound Juicer
> CD Ripper.  Best of all worlds.

This is in fact what the HIG says, unfortunately someone appears to have
interpreted it as "cut the name of the application out of the menu
entry", which it doesn't actually say in the HIG text at all, apart from
(as you observe) applications like calculator, character map etc.

Matt
--
mdke ubuntu com
gnupg pub 1024D/0E6B06FF