Re: Avoiding the name of an application in Menus?

--- Clytie Siddall <clytie riverland net au> wrote:

> On 13/02/2006, at 10:24 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
>
> >> Now When I'm working with the documentation I'm
> >> finding that using the name
> >> of the application, could create a future
> >> modification of the documentation
> >> like User Guide, then may is better to use the
> >> generic name like "Music
> >> Player" enstead of "Music Player Rhithmbox". What
> do
> >> you Think?
> >
> > I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
> > If GNOME chooses to switch to a different
> application
> > for the music player in the future, we'll have to
> > rewrite docs anyway.
> > There's a bit of a problem with app names anyway,
> > think. I launch 'Archive Manager' from the apps
> menu,
> > and I get a window called 'File Roller'. It's a
> bit
> > surprising for the new user.
>
> Particularly so for the user of translated versions.
> We do our best
> to translate literal app. names, but names like File
> Roller are
> probably meaningless in English to our users, and
> plain confusing if
> translated. (Roll the file? Why roll the file? What
> happens to it
> when it's rolled? etc.)
>
> I would recommend the initial window, at least, of
> each app containing:
>
> Menu name - App. name
>
> so with File-Roller, you select Archive Manager and
> get a window titled:
>
> Archive Manager - File Roller
>
> Is that workable?

Or 'File Roller Archive Manager', 'Gedit Text Editor',
which is more readable in English. But each language
should be free to invert the order to suit.

It's something I've been thinking of raising on the
Usability list for some time. Feel free to beat me to
it :)