Re: Avoiding the name of an application in Menus?

On 13/02/2006, at 10:24 PM, Joachim Noreiko wrote:

Now When I'm working with the documentation I'm
finding that using the name
of the application, could create a future
modification of the documentation
like User Guide, then may is better to use the
generic name like "Music
Player" enstead of "Music Player Rhithmbox". What do
you Think?

I'm not entirely sure what you mean.
If GNOME chooses to switch to a different application
for the music player in the future, we'll have to
rewrite docs anyway.
There's a bit of a problem with app names anyway, I
think. I launch 'Archive Manager' from the apps menu,
and I get a window called 'File Roller'. It's a bit
surprising for the new user.

Particularly so for the user of translated versions. We do our best to translate literal app. names, but names like File Roller are probably meaningless in English to our users, and plain confusing if translated. (Roll the file? Why roll the file? What happens to it when it's rolled? etc.)

I would recommend the initial window, at least, of each app containing:

Menu name - App. name

so with File-Roller, you select Archive Manager and get a window titled:

Archive Manager - File Roller

Is that workable?