Re: Bugzilla and documentation

On Sun, 2006-02-12 at 11:06 +0200, ash contact bg wrote:
> 1. Is there a tendency to standartize the directories
> of the documentation in all official Gnome modules -
> similarly to the position of translations - in po*
> directories? (I do remember some of the Gnome modules
> having different places for the docs).

I like "help" as a directly, and I generally tend
to recommend a second level of directories under
that, although few of our modules do so.  So if
I maintain the module "beanstalk", my main help
files would be under beanstalk/help/beanstalk.
Why the redundant extra directory, you ask?  It
allows you to add more documents without having
weird layouts.  So at some point, we decide to
add a separate FAQ.  We can just add another
directory, beanstalk/help/faq.

On the other hand, I don't think it's worth the
effort of changing existing modules, especially
since moving directories in CVS is such a hassle.
Maybe after we switch to SVN.

> 2. Has anyone thought of the way this interacts with the
> translation efforts for the docs?
>    - Is there a separate account for bugs in the translation
> of docs, are they per module, or per language?

Right now, there's no hard policy to this effect.
Currently, all translation bugs are filed under
the l10n product in bugzilla, using a component
for the particular language.  Translations of
documentation should probably just be handled
the same way.

>    - Is there a way we can set up additional mailing
> lists to be notified on changes, could this ease both
> the maintainers and the tranlsators? I am generally
> stronly against mailing lists mass proliferation, but
> we could have the mailing lists per languages be
> additionally notified on the changes.

I'm fairly certain there's a way to make CVS
notify you of changes, per-file.  It requires
some esotoric knowledge, I suppose.  I mean,
I don't even know *how* to do it, just that
you can.  So maybe we should look into how we
can make this sort of thing easier.

--
Shaun