Bugzilla and documentation

Most of you are probably familiar with the fake
accounts we have in bugzilla.  They have account
names along the lines of <product>-maint gnome bugs

These are really handy, because they don't tie your
bugs to any particular person.  This is especially
useful when you have a high turnover, like we do in
the documentation team.  Anybody can watch anybody
else's account, so you can use these to assign bugs
to a whole team.

We recently made gnome-user-docs-maint gnome bugs
This is, of course, the default assignee and QA
contact for gnome-user-docs.  In addition, we'd
like to use this as the default assignee for the
documentation components of any product whose
documentation is maintained directly by the GDP.

Module maintainers can still use another account
for the default QA contact (their own address or
their own -maint account), so they can still get
notifications of all the documentation bugs.

If your documentation is maintained by a specific
team or individual, and it's not under the general
maintainership of the GDP, fine, no worries.  I'll
probably pester your doc maintainers once every
release cycle to make sure they're on the ball,
and we'll be done with things.  But bear in mind
that the fake accounts are really handy things.
If you're in the habit of using them, you might
consider setting up a <product>-docs-maint account
that your documentation folks can track.  And hey,
let the general documentation team know too, so we
can get our voyeuristic kicks watching it. ;-)

This email is already long, and I'm going to hit
you with three long lists of modules.  Remember,
making gnome-user-docs-maint the defualt assignee
for your documentation component should only be
done if you are giving the GDP full maintainership
over your documentation.  That means I can commit
without asking you.

Here is a list of modules that contain (or should
contain) user documentation, but do not have a
component in bugzilla specifically for docs:

dasher
deskbar-applet
gnome-desktop
gnome-keyring-manager
gnome-mag
gnome-media
gnome-nettool
gnome-power-manager
gnome-system-tools
pessulus
sabayon
totem

Here is a list of modules that have documentation
components in bugzilla whose default assignee is
a real account (i.e. a person):

bug-buddy/docs (shaunm gnome org)
evince/documentation (reinout cs vu nl)
evolution/User Documentation (mmoulder novell com)
file-roller/docs (shaunm gnome org)
gcalctool/docs (Breda McColgan sun com)
gconf-editor/docs (shaunm gnome org)
gedit/docs (paolo maggi polito it)
gnome-applets/docs (shaun gnome org)
control-center/docs (kevin breit gmail com)
gnome-games/docs (shaunm gnome org)
gnome-netstatus/docs (shaunm gnome org)
system-monitor/docs (shaunm gnome org)
gnome-utils/docs (jfleck gnome gmail com)
gnopernicus/docs (ad baum ro)
gok/docs (david bolter utoronto ca)
gucharmap/docs (shaunm gnome org)
zenity/docs (shaunm gnome org)

A few notes are in order here.  Nothing should
be getting assigned to me by default.  If I'm
the default assignee, it should be changed to
gnome-user-docs-maint gnome bugs   Oddly enough,
I'm the default assignee for gnome-games/docs,
but I know Callum maintains those himself.  Also,
Breda (gcalctool) and John (gnome-utils) are not
maintaining those documents anymore.

As I said, if you want to keep maintainership
with a specific individual or team, that's fine.
But do consider a -docs-maint account for your
product.

Finally, here's a list of products which have
documentation components for which the default
assignee is the -maint account for the respective
product:

ekiga/Documentation (gnomemeeting-maint)
eog/documentation (eog-maint)
epiphany/Documentation (epiphany-maint)
fast-user-switch-applet/Documentation
  (fast-user-switch-applet-maint)
gdm/docs (gdm-maint)
gnome-terminal/docs (gnome-terminal-maint)
gnome-user-docs/* (gnome-user-docs-maint)
sound-juicer/docs (sound-juicer-maint)

Again, if you want to maintain your own stuff,
fine.  If you want the GDP to take care of your
docs, then make us the default assignee.  And
do consider a -docs-maint account otherwise.

This email was brought to you as a public
service from the Gnome Documentation Team,
and was sponsored in part by the letter G,
the letter Q, and the number 7.

--
Shaun