Re: Role and function of the docs team

Hi :o)

On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 19:51 +0100, Don Scorgie wrote:
> Hi,
>
> On Sun, 2006-08-27 at 20:38 +0200, karderio wrote:
> <snip>
> > >
> > > That does actually exist.
> >
> > Does it ? Perhaps I have not been clear... Are you referring to the
> > announcement list ?
>
> I believe he's referring to the devel-announce list.  It's supposed to
> be the place to announce hings of interest to the GNOME devel community.

Ah I didn't know that... Thanks ! Is it only my fault that I am ignorant
of this ?

> > I don't think discussions can be announced on the announcement list. Is
> > there another list I am unaware of ? I am suggesting a place where new
> > discussions can be announced long before any decision has taken place.
>
> Probably the best place to take discussion like this is to desktop-devel
> list.  Though, whether it'll degenerate into a flame war, be ignored or
> produce some decent discussion is very much luck of the draw ;)

I understand. I also, sadly, also understand your criticism... Any idea
how to make things more productive (less erratic, less silly) ?

How about curt replies to posts such as "It's software, please be
nice.", "This seems irrelevant, please explain better." with a
recommendation to leave the discussion at that until the poster responds
more calmly instead of arguing to the death. Perhaps this could put the
burden more on the problematic poster rather than on the rest of the
community. Probably very silly, but it is all I could come up with ;)

> Although, I have a feeling that just announcing "please keep the docs
> team informed throughout the cycle" type stuff might not go across too
> well.  Maybe come up with a decent proposal and then say "We propose
> this..." to the devel-announce and desktop-devel lists, asking for
> feedback.

What do you think about asking devs to maintain their NEWS files ?

Love, Karderio.