Re: more doc work (was Re: completed gataxx doc)

Hi :o)

On Tue, 2006-08-01 at 17:48 +0100, Joachim Noreiko wrote:
> --- Joachim Noreiko <jnoreiko yahoo com> wrote:
>
> > That could be very useful.
> > Though for the border fading feature I would wait
> > and
> > see what Shaun has to say about whether it is
> > feasible/desirable to have yelp automatically do
> > border fading.
>

> As I saw it, there would be two advantages to doing it
> in yelp: it ensures consistency, and it's less work
> for the person creating the image.
> I've just spoken to Shaun on IRC who says it would be
> tricky in yelp -- and your tool would address both of
> these issues too. So if it's something you think you
> can do, go for it :)

I can see border fading not being easy to implement in Yelp. I'm sure it
could be a lot more trivial to use CSS to draw a frame around the
screenshot though. This would at least provide a visual indication that
the shot is not a window, as no indication currently exists.

If you are really worried about users mistaking screenshots for windows,
you can flash a notice "this is a screenshot" in place of the shot if
the user clickis it, again using CSS. I think this would be more
effective than border fading - where as with visual effects you could
get fools complaining that not only has their window frozen up, but it's
borders have also faded ;)

Sorry if I seem to be persisting, but I really think that if we should
apply effects to images, they should be done in Yelp to ensure
consistency. Imagine we wanted to change the effect, we would have to
redo all the shots. People with different versions of software would
have different types of effects. If we did this in Yelp, it would
immediately get applied to all the shots, and we could change it at
will.

Love, Karderio.