Re: automated screenshots (was Re: more doc work, Re: completed gataxx doc)

hi,

just seen this discussion here. In my pet-project 'buzztard' [1] I
experiment with something similar. We have a check based unit-test suite
[2]. I have written some GUI helper for UI tests. During configure we check
if Xvfb (virtual x server) is available. If it is the test-helper create a
virtual display and clone the theme settings. During the test runs,
screenshos are taken (and scaled by 75%). The cool thing is, that it shoots
arbitrary widgets (and thus also widget groups). I use these shoots to
review if the GUI looks sane (I plan to generate a html index page along
with that and to generate diff pictures to compare to previous runs).
In my user-guide makefile.am I have an update-figures target which copies
the screenshots and adds a drop-shadow (via imagemagick).

In theory shots can be taking in several languages by changing LC_ALL and
running the the tests multiple times. Its also planned to do the shadow
stuff as part of the screenshooting (in C). One other idea is to overlay
the figures with colored rectangle and labels (gtk_widget_get_name) to ease
reffering to sections in the screenshot. For these things I need to figure
out whats the easies way to draw stuff that is not visible :)

I am going to commit more of that to our project CVS this weekend.

Stefan

[1] http://www.buzztard.org
[2] http://check.sf.net