Re: Bounty: Live Documentation Editing

On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 22:42 +0200, Danilo Šegan wrote:
> Today at 18:52, Murray Cumming wrote:
>
> > On Thu, 2005-06-02 at 00:00 -0400, Eduardo M. Gonzalez wrote:
> >> I'm also interested in (and applied for) that bounty.  Which is the main
> >> problem with bounties, that they discourage collaboration.
> >
> > You'll get better results with collaboration and therefore more chance
> > of success.
>
> >From http://code.google.com/summfaq.html:
>
> > Can a group apply for and work on a single project?
> >
> > No, only individuals may work on any one project.
>
> Does this actually mean "do not collaborate"?  What's "a group" in
> this context?

What I think google means is that they will not give a group of students
$4500 each for working on a project.  When I said discourages
collaboration I mean in this sense that at the moment everyone who
applied to this bounty is essentially competing with each other.  I've
meet some people who are even keeping what bounties they've applied for
a secret.  That is a bad idea and really disconnects the developer from
the community.  If I don't get accepted for the bounty I hope my code
(coming soon) and my ideas will help whoever does.  In the end GNOME
wins, and since GNOME is my desktop, I win too.  (It's a competition
where everyone wins. :) )

--
Eduardo M. Gonzalez <wm_eddie comcast net>