Re: My Introduction

On Fri, 2005-12-23 at 18:36 +0200, Yavor Doganov wrote:
> At Fri, 23 Dec 2005 07:05:21 +0000 (GMT),
> Manish Chakravarty wrote:
> > 2) Will i be assigned credit for the docs i write? or will the
> > maintainer keep the copyright/credit?
>
> Do you really care about this?  Put youself as "author" and I guess
> you can do for copyright as well, although the wisest thing to do is
> to assign copyright to FSF.  If you are actually doing it for the
> people, I think this is what every diligent contributor should do.

It *is* nice to see your name in the credits.  That's
why we have an 'About This Document' page generated
in Yelp for each documents, and it's why applications
have credits in their About dialogs.

Sure, we're doing it for our users, and we care about
providing quality free software with quality free
documentation.  But that doesn't mean we don't like
to get a little recognition for our work.  A little
thanks and recognition goes a long way.

As for copyright, very few of our document writers
currently assign copyright to an organization like
the Free Software Foundation.  It certainly has its
advantages, and I've advocated doing it in the past,
but it's not a requirement.

--
Shaun