Re: String changes in gnome-panel

Hi Glynn,

Glynn Foster <Glynn Foster Sun COM> writes:

>>   * in the Actions menu and the foot menu, "Log Out $USERNAME" would be
>>     changed to "Log Out". This is the most visible change.
>>   * the tooltips for both menu items would change too
>
> One of the reason we added this as a feature patch to JDS was because
> it's hard to easily identify what user is currently logged into the
> desktop - and pretty useful in a multi-user environment. It would be a
> big pity to lose this feature :( [1]

Apart from what I said in the bug report, let me add this.  A
"feature" in one or more languages would be a *bug* in one or more
languages.  Without this feature, there's no bug in any language.
So, while I think it would be nice to have something like this in
Serbian language as well, it's not really possible because of it's
intricacies (as explained in the bug report), and all we can get is
a funny sounding sentence.

In places not so visible as the Log Out menu item, it is sometimes ok
to let people have the benefit of extra information even at the cost
of arcane sentences, but here it sucks very much.

Another thing which I'm interested in, and which is relevant to
gnome-doc-list, is how do documenters handle this?

Basically, how does one instruct user to log out?  Would it be enough
to say "Choose 'Log Out' from Actions menu", or would one have to say
"Choose 'Log Out <username>' from Actions menu, where <username> is
username you used to log into the system"?

If the latter is what must be done, that's one more reason against
using "Log Out %s" form in the menu.

Cheers,
Danilo