Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

hi there,

Yes, I agree with the simplicity of the .po format : that's certainly
it's strength. Unfortunately, it's also it's greatest weakness (God,
that was dramatic, wasn't it!? ;-)

The trouble is that with .po files, down the line you have to start
hacking the format with custom extensions when you decide you want to
help the translator out by adding things like fuzzy matches, machine
translation hits, glossary items and other aids to translation.

I know, because we had *exactly* that problem in Sun. Here's the sort of
po file we were starting to generate (disclaimer: I don't speak French!)
# this is a message used by main.c
# @LC_COMMENT@ This is a special comment for localisers
# @LC_FUZZY@ This is a big message
# @LC_FUZZY_TRANS@ Voici une grande message
# @LC_MACHINE_TRANS@
# @LC_GLOSSARY@ [1] message
# @LC_GLOSSARY_DESC@ [1] n. a packet of information
# @LC_GLOSSARY_TRANS@ [1] message
msgid "This is a message"
msgstr "Voici une message"

Now, when you get a po file that's broken, or has a misspelt @LC_XXX@
directive or is missing a ", you're screwed, unless you've hacked the po
parser to detect these sorts of things. I guess the same arguments can
be aimed at XLIFF, just that validating xliff can be done by any xml
parser out there and is less work...

Before you know it, you've re-implemented XLIFF, and have actually made
the process more complicated for everyone involved since yours are the
only tools that can make sense of the format.

I appreciate that making things a little more complex for new
translators to start translating GNOME is a big minus point[1], but at
the same time, you're also increasing efficiency of existing
translators.

All sorts of other goodies become available at this point (in
particular, you can start writing code to get translation matches across
both docs and software, thus improving the quality and consistency of
the translation to the end user)

Finally, for what it's worth, I've taken a document from the GNOME 2.4
user guide, and passed it through our tools. (We have the 2.2 user guide
in our translation memory already) A screenshot of editing :

http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf/gosoverview.xml

in our editor can be seen at

http://www.netsoc.ucd.ie/~timf/Screenshot-TransEditor.png

None of the translation memory lookup gets done using this tool, it's
purely for translators - all the backend stuff is done on a J2EE server.

Hope this helps outline more clearly the problems we had in the past and
our reasons for migrating to XLIFF.

	cheers,
			tim

[1] I would argue that it makes things easier, because they're given an
easy to use translation application that hides the complexity of the
underlying format. For example, we protect inline tags like <emphasis>
from editing, we can ensure that all the tags that appear in the source
segment appear in the target segment, we can allow translators to see
previous translations of that segment, etc.