Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

Hi Dave

субота, 27. септембар 2003. 22:19:05 CEST — Dave Malcolm написа:
I've been lurking in this discussion and wanted to ask: is there
anything we can do within Conglomerate to make it easier to translate
DocBook documents?  (Conglomerate aims to be a user-friendly XML
editor for DocBook and other XML formats, for those who don't know)

While I consider Conglomerate to be a really nice XML editor (or at least that it's going to be ;-), I don't think it's up to the task for other things than the *initial* translation (like any other XML editor tool).

The problem in here is that PO files are generally considered *sets* of elements, and their order is irrelevant (from technical point of view, but they're usually ordered in some way in PO files, and that does help translators, because they know that only related stuff are near in the file).

OTOH, XML files, and particularly DocBook documents, are structured. That, by itself, means that transformation from one to the other is not really simple.

The key thing in here, that concerns us translators, is how to make these two cooperate. As a translator, I care to see only the text to translate, and not the DocBook markup.

So, a tool that we need would transform a document of the form:
<article>
<chapter>
<title>First chapter</title>
<para>This paragraph introduces us to FOO.</para>
</chapter>
</article>

(these are not correct tags, it's just an illustration ;-)

And translators care only about:
msgid "First chapter"
msgid "This paragraph introduces us to FOO."

Even if you later add a new chapter in front, which begins similarly to the existing one:
<title>Second chapter</title>
<para>This paragraph introduces us to BAR.</para>

Tools that already exist (msgmerge) would *automatically* translate most of the new paragraph, because "fuzzy matching" works great for strings as similar as the two paragraphs in my example.

Reordering paragraphs, small changes (eg. adding a "." at the end of chapter names) are hard to track in any structure-oriented editor, so that's where PO tools have advantages.

Cheers,
Danilo