Re: PO-based Documentation Translation

fre 2003-09-26 klockan 14.36 skrev Alexander Kirillov:
> Christian: since you are actively working on translating docs, and I am
> not, clearly your opinion carries more weight. Do  other translators
> also feel that PO format will be helpful? If so, it is time to make a
> decision and start actively working on DocBook->PO and PO->Docbook
> transformation tools, rather than let the matter rest to resurface again
> in a year.

I think the consensus on this matter has been clear for a very long
time, i.e. that translators very much want to be able to use the PO
format also for translating documentation. I don't think we need any
more formal decision on that. It should not be a matter of making
decisions, as the consensus should already be clear to anyone who has
followed the discussions each time they have resurrected both now and in
the past.

The reason this hasn't really come about yet is probably not a lack of
decision but merely just a lack of people fluent with DocBook XML, the
PO format and gettext/intltool, and that have extensive PO format
translation experience and the time to get this working. Or a lack of
sufficient cooperation between the individuals that have parts of that
knowledge and time to do this.

Christian