Re: PO-based Documentation Translation (wa Re: Weekly i18n status update)

This has been discussed - and no consensus was reached. I personally do
not feel that PO format is suitable for docs. PO files deal with a
collection of clearly defined units (messages), with no relation between
them. Docs do not look like that, and I do not know how to present a
document as a series of such units. For example, taking each paragraph
as a "message" can sometimes cause trouble: in my translating
experience, I sometimes felt the need to break a paragraph in two, so
there is no 1-1 correspondence between paragraphs of original doc and
paragraphs of translation. There are other issues, too. So I found that
updating translations using good old diff mode of emacs was easier.

This, of course, is a matter of choice: if most translators feel that PO
format is what they need, we should start thinking about moving to it.
But I see many problems with this, and not enough benefits.

Best,
Sasha