Re: scrollkeeper omf files

On Mon, 2003-12-22 at 12:08, Slobo wrote:
> Hello all,
>
> Nearly finished translating gtranslator into serbian and have some
> question how to create/handle omf file(s).
>
> 1. There is mandatory seriesid attribute in element relation. I have
> read that it is the same id for all revisions and translations of
> document. Didn't understand that. Should I generate one id for this
> gtranslator manual and that id will be used for all serbian gnome
> documentation translation or I just need to copy one already included in
> gtranslator-1.0/help/C/gtranslator-C.omf ?

Copy the one from gtranslator-C.omf. The reason for this is that it is
the way we tie together all of the gtranslator documents -- each version
/ localisation is part of the same series.

> 2. Again "story" about "translated" omf file. There are elements
> "creator" and "maintainer". Should they stay as reference to original
> document author and person(organisation) who maintain that document or
> should I put here name of first translator(creator element) and name of
> maintainer of translation(maintainer element) ?

The original document author and the original translator both "created"
the work in some sense (since a translation is a derived work in
copyright law). You can have more than one creator element in an OMF
file, so you should probably leave the creator tag from the original
document, add a new creator for the original translator and if somebody
else ends up maintaining the translation, add a maintainer tag for that
person. I am not sure what to about maintainer entries for the original
document -- they are not really maintaining the translation directly.
What do other people think here?

> 3. There is "subject" element with "category" attribute. Soon I'll
> translate /usr/share/scrollkeeper/Templates/C/scroolkeeper_cl.xml file
> and after that should I put in that attribute localised category name or
> original? (BTW. For gtranslator it is:<subject
> category="Development|Development Tools|Other> but first I thought it is
> better to use GNOME|Application|Programming as it is where this program
> is put in menu after installation.)

Do NOT translate scrollkeeper_cl.xml. That is translated as part of the
scrollkeeper package via the translation project
(http://www.iro.umontreal.ca/contrib/po/HTML/index.html).

I do not understand the other part of your question here.

> This scrollkeeper_cl.xml file is as stated at the top of that file last
> time modified in 2001 ? Should I translate this file or is there newer
> one?

That is the same date as the one in scrollkeeper's source. But, as I
said above, you should go via the translation project if you wish to
help translation scrollkeeper source material.

> 4. Already mentioned in thread "Scrollkeeper seriesid" but in original
> gtranslator package there is line in omf file:
> <identifier url="gtranslator.xml"/>
> I think it should be (for translated version):
> <identifier
> url="file:///usr/share/gnome/help/gtranslator/sr/gtranslator.xml">
> or maybe I am wrong here?

What if it is installed in a different location? This prefix can vary
wildly (and *does* vary wildly in practice). The scrollkeeper OMF file
installation process is a little broken in this respect at the moment.
It needs to be fixed. Leave it as gtranslator.xml for now so that things
are uniformly broken everywhere (sad answer, but putting anything else
there is wrong as well).

> 5. What to do with "holder" attribute of "rights" element - to mention
> translator's name or original person(organisation) name?

You can have multiple 'rights' entries, so make a new one for your
translation. This is the correct way to do it in all cases, since your
copyright claims are different from those of the original author. For
example, the original document might be copyright 2001 - 2003, whereas
the translated version may only have been done in 2003, so its copyright
year is different as well.

> I am sorry this is much questions but read out some scrollkeeper docs
> and didn't find answers. Beside it, it can be usefull for other
> translators teams ;)

Agreed.

If anything I said above is unclear (or wrong, which is also possible),
sing out. We need to fix this stuff so that it's clear to everybody.

Cheers,
Malcolm