Re: Default WM theme settings

Calum Benson wrote:

Jeff Waugh wrote:

I thought there was a reasonable amount of agreement that the Windows-like
layout was arse.

As far as I recall, the only "arsey" thing people had to say about it is
that there's no separation between the close button and the max/min
buttons, which is true, but (in our humble opinion) better than barely
being able to see the close button at all, having to click on the close
button (albeit with a different mouse button) to bring up the window
menu, or having a mysterious shade button where many (if not most)
newbies/upgraders from Windoze/CDE will expect the close button, all of
which are true of the current default.  But which jsh, in fairness, said
could all probably be addressed, although he didn't say when and I
didn't dare ask  :o)

Anyways, it appears there's sufficient disagreement with our POV that
changing the community default would probably make a lot of people
grumpy, so I suspect we can live with agreeing to disagree on this
one...

I did a little mockup to see what it would look like with white buttons on the left in Crux:
 http://www.daa.com.au/~james/images/crux-mockup.png

I think this would improve the usability of the default button order. The colour used for the text colour is white, so having white buttons makes it a lot easier to find a contrasting highlight colour. It should also make it a bit more obvious that it is a close button rather than a menu button :)

Also, the unfocused window borders in Crux look a bit weird for dark backgrounds. I modified the unfocused window borders to be a bit darker:
 http://www.daa.com.au/~james/images/crux-dark.png

This is probably not as useful for people with light backgrounds though :)

James.

--
Email: james daa com au
WWW:   http://www.daa.com.au/~james/