Re: Lampadas Bugzilla, status update, roadmap

On Monday 12 August 2002 12:30 am, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> On Mon, Aug 12, 2002 at 01:13:40AM -0500, David Merrill wrote:

> > We still need translators for these languages. If we cannot find
> > translators, then documents in these languages will not be fully
> > supported.
>
> I am not sure how you have implemented the translation infrastructure,
> but if you are in a position to be able to generate a lampadas.pot file
> and merge those results back in, then you can possibly take advantage
> of the gnome-i18n module. This is a collection of external programs
> which have their strings translated by the various GNOME teams and then
> the external maintainers merge in the translations from time to time.
> After creating the .pot file, pinging the gnome-i18n list would be a
> fruitful exercise (although I don't have to do any of the translations,
> so they may just want to kill me for suggesting more work gets pushed
> the way of the translators).

Our translation strings are all held in the back-end database after the
initial install. They start out in XX.m4 files, where XX is the ISO code.
We have scripts to walk these m4 files and generate SQL, which is used to
insert data into the database. It would be unprofitable to convert to
another architecture at this point, without a clear and strong benefit.

Malcolm, I remember some time ago you sent a patch to ScrollServer. That
project is sitting unmaintained. I learned during its development that I
was solving the wrong problem, and began working on Lampadas instead.
Everything I learned in developing ScrollServer is now being used in
Lampadas, so it was not wasted time! My Python has gotten considerably
stronger since then, when you were helping me get started with it.

All of you Gnome developers have been very helpful to me as I have worked
on Lampadas. And now you are even providing a Bugzilla repository for us,
listing Lampadas as Gnome component, even though that is not strictly the
case. I think that because of your help and contributions to the project,
we should list Gnome as a supporter somehow beyond the CREDITS file, so I
put a Gnome icon on the bottom of the standard page header, for now
anyway. I may move it elsewhere eventually but will try to keep it
somewhat prominent.

- --
David C. Merrill                         http://www.lupercalia.net
Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
Lead Developer                                 http://www.tldp.org

The great sea has set me in motion.
Set me adrift,
And I move as a weed in the river.