Re: jrb help: XML & HTML

On Thu, 6 Sep 2001, David Merrill wrote:

> On Fri, Sep 07, 2001 at 12:27:40AM +0200, Mikael Hallendal wrote:
> > ons 2001-09-05 klockan 18.55 skrev David Merrill:
> >
> > Hi!
> >
> > > I expect I'll have something usable well within the 2.0 timeframe,
> > > although it certainly won't be as far along as the standard help
> > > browser. Still, it will allow a user to get to the help using lynx. In
> > > fact, it *already* lets the user get to the scrollkeeper database with
> > > lynx. Not bad for a day's hacking, huh? ;-) Especially since I've
> > > never coded python before.
> >
> > Nice work. Is the code available somewhere? I'm going to have a
> > designmeeting with two other guys at work on monday/tuesday starting to
> > design/brainstorm about a generic helpsystem (as I've described in other
> > letters). This project would not be GNOME-specific (as imho such a
> > project shouldn't be).
>
> Well, of course it is available, but I guess I should put it in cvs
> somewhere. The question is where. Should it be part of scrollkeeper or
> a freestanding package? I could put it in the LDP cvs, or host it at
> SourceForge or Savannah. I don't think it belongs in Gnome since it
> isn't part of Gnome.

I guess I would vote for it being an independent package since it is
really a client, on par with a KDE or GNOME browser, and it may be simpler
to not have the release schedules of ScrollKeeper and ScrollServer tied
together.  If you'd like, you could still include it in the ScrollKeeper
CVS and web pages on SourceForge, although I'm not sure if there is any
benefit in doing so.  A dedicated project on SourceForge sounds like a
good solution.

Dan