Re: the DTD (was Re: switching to Docbook 4.1 XML)

On Thu, Oct 25, 2001 at 09:52:12AM -0400, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
> On Thu, 2001-10-25 at 10:58, John Fleck wrote:
> > >
> > >   Make sure people install the Dtd locally. Can be done as a requirement
> > > from the packaging system, or a check easilly made at runtime.
> > >

> > Right, but do we make a the DocBook DTD package a requirement, or do
> > we install it ourselves?
>
> We make the DocBook DTD package a requirement, clearly.  We're using the
> standard DocBook DTD, as are lots of other projects.  To ship our own
> version simply doesn't make good sense.  We should do the same thing
> with Norm's stylesheets as well (although we need to ship our
> customization layer ourselves).
> 	Greg

I assume the hackerish details are left as a trivial exercise for the
reader, but I can't help but remember the weekly angst (why, it
happened just today!) of someone arriving on #docs needing help
because their DocBook DTD/catalog setup was not working right and
their documents therefore were not building.

/me shivers
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/