Re: switching to Docbook 4.1 XML

On Tue, Oct 23, 2001 at 04:19:09PM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> > 1. It took about 4 seconds (on PIII 500 Mhz system) - I hoped to get
> >    something closer to 1 sec.
> >

> Use of the --catalogs flag when you run xsltproc should speed things up.
> It uses catalog resolution rather than going out over the net for the DTD.

  Actually xsltproc (or rather any recent version of the libxml2 library)
systematically check for XML Catalogs rooted in /etc/xml/catalog (contrary
to SGML catalogs this is completely progressive and doesn't harm performances
when there is no catalog to be used). There is also a tool (xmlcatalog)
which allows to build and maintain such catalogs and we expect to have
then automatically maintained from the packaging systems (RPM, deb, ...)
when new DTDs or XML resources are added to a system.

Daniel