Legal text for review.

Hi Dan,

I don't know if the GFDL has been updated yet. In the meantime, the Sun legal
team have finalized some text for the liability and warranty disclaimers for the
title page. Bearing The final recommendation is attached. Note that the
disclaimers have moved into the Legal Notice section, to make them invariant
sections. Also, the disclaimers do need to be in uppercase to offset them from
the regular text, even though it's a bit loud.

Maybe you can put the legal section before the board for review and approval.

Thanks,

Pat

> To: Alexander Kirillov <kirillov math sunysb edu>
> Cc: <gnome-doc-list gnome org>
> Subject: Re: updating templates
>

> On Thu, 1 Nov 2001, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
>
> > 1. I would like the legal stuff to be approved by someone other than
> >    just us - e.g. by GNOME foundation. Not that I see any problem with
> >    this, of course,  if both RMS and SUN legal dept agree :). But
> >    still, formally neither SUN nor RMS are authorized to make
> >    decisions for GNOME, and I want to be real careful here. Dan: you
> >    are the board member - can you bring it up?
>
> We briefly discussed this at Tuesday's board meeting.  I think we will
> have to revisit the issue in more detail after the FDL is updated, which
> it sounds like it eventually will be.  If we use an interim solution, we
> should work on it until we are all happy with it and then run it by the
> Board for their official stamp of approval.  It looks like we are getting
> close.  Perhaps it will be ready for next board meeting in 2 weeks.
>
> Dan

Character Picker Applet Manual V0.2 Title Page

Author

Sun Microsystems

Publisher

GNOME Documentation Project

Copyrights

Copyright 2001: Sun Microsystems
Copyright 2000: Dan Mueth

Legal Notice

Permission is granted to copy, distribute and/or modify this document under the terms of the GNU Free Documentation License (GFDL), Version 1.1 or any later version published by the Free Software Foundation with the Invariant Sections being Limitation of Liability and Disclaimer of Warranty, no Front-Cover Texts, and no Back-Cover Texts. You can find a copy of the GFDL at this link <link to GFDL>.

Many of the names used by companies to distinguish their products and services are claimed as trademarks. Where those names appear in any GNOME documentation, and the members of the GNOME Documentation Project are made aware of those trademarks, then the names are in capital letters or initial capital letters.

DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT ARE PROVIDED UNDER UNDER THE TERMS OF THE GNU FREE DOCUMENTATION LICENSE WITH THE FURTHER UNDERSTANDING THAT:

  1. DOCUMENT IS PROVIDED ON AN "AS IS" BASIS, WITHOUT WARRANTY OF ANY KIND, EITHER EXPRESSED OR IMPLIED, INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, WARRANTIES THAT THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS FREE OF DEFECTS MERCHANTABLE, FIT FOR A PARTICULAR PURPOSE OR NON-INFRINGING. THE ENTIRE RISK AS TO THE QUALITY, ACCURACY, AND PERFORMANCE OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS WITH YOU. SHOULD ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION PROVE DEFECTIVE IN ANY RESPECT, YOU (NOT THE INITIAL WRITER, AUTHOR OR ANY CONTRIBUTOR) ASSUME THE COST OF ANY NECESSARY SERVICING, REPAIR OR CORRECTION. THIS DISCLAIMER OF WARRANTY CONSTITUTES AN ESSENTIAL PART OF THIS LICENSE. NO USE OF ANY DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT IS AUTHORIZED HEREUNDER EXCEPT UNDER THIS DISCLAIMER; AND

  2. UNDER NO CIRCUMSTANCES AND UNDER NO LEGAL THEORY, WHETHER IN TORT (INCLUDING NEGLIGENCE), CONTRACT, OR OTHERWISE, SHALL THE AUTHOR, INITIAL WRITER, ANY CONTRIBUTOR, OR ANY DISTRIBUTOR OF THE DOCUMENT OR MODIFIED VERSION OF THE DOCUMENT, OR ANY SUPPLIER OF ANY OF SUCH PARTIES, BE LIABLE TO ANY PERSON FOR ANY DIRECT,INDIRECT, SPECIAL, INCIDENTAL, OR CONSEQUENTIAL DAMAGES OF ANY CHARACTER INCLUDING, WITHOUT LIMITATION, DAMAGES FOR LOSS OF GOODWILL, WORK STOPPAGE, COMPUTER FAILURE OR MALFUNCTION, OR ANY AND ALL OTHER DAMAGES OR LOSSES ARISING OUT OF OR RELATING TO USE OF THE DOCUMENT AND MODIFIED VERSIONS OF THE DOCUMENT, EVEN IF SUCH PARTY SHALL HAVE BEEN INFORMED OF THE POSSIBILITY OF SUCH DAMAGES.

History

Title

Year

Author

Publisher

Character Picker Manual V0.2

2001

Sun Microsystems (gnome_docs sun com)

GNOME Documentation Project

Character Picker Manual

2000

Dan Mueth (d-mueth uchicago edu)

GNOME Documentation Project

Developers

Product Version

Developer

1.0

Alexander Muñiz (munizao xprt net)

Product Licensing

This program is distributed under the terms of the GNU General Public license. A copy of this license can be found at this <link>, or in the file COPYING included with the source code of this program.

Feedback

To report a bug or make a suggestion regarding this application or this documentation, please follow the directions in this document <link>.

<<< Previous Home Next >>>