Re: How to use GFDL 1.1

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 12:38:04PM +0300, Alexander Shopov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am currently writing a mini-howto on translating the Gnome interface
> in Bulgarian.
> I want to release it under GFDL.
> I am not sure whether I must have things like Invariant sections, cover
> and back texts.
> What is the intent of such sections?
> Another question - GFDL is quite big, can I just make a reference to it
> online and point
> people to FSF for a written copy if they want it? (like GPL says?)

We had this discussion with our docs some time ago. Here the resulat,
as I understand it: according to the license, anyone who distributes
your docs *must* include a copy of FDL. Providing a link is not good
enough. In real life, this means that you have to include a copy of
FDL with the docs. See
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-doc-list/2000-September/msg00030.html

OTOH, if your docs are distributed as part of a collection of docs,
you only need one copy of FDL.

Sasha