Re: How to use GFDL 1.1

On Wed, Mar 28, 2001 at 12:37:42PM +0300, Alexander Shopov wrote:
> Hi guys,
> I am currently writing a mini-howto on translating the Gnome interface
> in Bulgarian.

Cool!

> I want to release it under GFDL.

Cool!

> I am not sure whether I must have things like Invariant sections, cover
> and back texts.

You don't *have* to. It is entirely optional. You should state
explicitly that you are using the GFDL with no invariant sections, no
cover text, no back text.

> What is the intent of such sections?

To give you as the author the power to prevent *some* of the content
from being changed, while allowing others to produce derivative works
by changing the body of the document. So, you can require that a URL
to your version, credit for you, and other such things are guaranteed,
no matter how much they might alter the rest of the document.

> Another question - GFDL is quite big, can I just make a reference to it
> online and point
> people to FSF for a written copy if they want it? (like GPL says?)

Including it whole is probably better legal protection. A reference
should be sufficient. My opinion is that it depends how much you're
worried about a legal challenge, like someone misusing the document
(not honoring invariant sections, for instance).

If your document will always be published as part of a collection (the
situation with most LDP documents), then you only need a single copy
of the license, and so referencing is quite sufficient.

IANAL. This is not legal advice, just another user's opinion!

If this is really a concern to you, write the FSF or browse their
pages for usage instructions.

hth,

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net
                                       Finger me for my public key

The road to hell is paved with NAND gates.
		-- J. Gooding