Re: DocPath in .desktops, KDE, and "who is bored?"

On Thu, Mar 08, 2001 at 06:35:43PM -0500, Owen Taylor wrote:
> > While you guys will probably hate me for this, I added another user visible
> > change to the panel recently (in CVS, not even in 1.3.1).  It's the support
> > for DocPath field in the .desktop files.  KDE has had this for a while, and
> > in fact the panel now can launch help for kde .applnks as well.  If you have
> > a new enough panel, you can go and right click on a menu item or on a
> > launcher on the panel, and you should see "Help on Foo" (where Foo is the
> > name of the application).
>
> DocPath is not part of the current draft of the Desktop Entry Specification.
>
>  http://www.freedesktop.org/standards/desktop-entry-spec.html
>
> Could you mail xdg-list freedesktop org and mention this. Suggested
> text for an addition to to the 4.1 would be appreciated.
>
> [ And while you are at it, you might want to bring up any other
>   GNOME extensions that it doesn't cover, especially any that
>   aren't prefixed by X-GNOME ]

Actually this is not a GNOME extention, it has been copied over from KDE, and
nothing in GNOME used it until now, even though it was covered in our API
since the beginning.  So it seems strange to me that the KDE folks have not
suggested it for the standard.

In any case I'll mail them with this.

At some point in time I suppose I should look at the gnome-ditem in CVS and
make sure it follows the spec, which it doesn't currently.

George

--
George <jirka 5z com>
   Beat on the brat, beat on the brat, beat on the brat, with a baseball bat.