Re: caching help (was Re: Publishing HTML)

On Wed, Jun 27, 2001 at 07:20:59AM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 05:54:00PM +0100, Colm Smyth wrote:
> > Hi Dan,
> >
> > I was suggesting that a help-server could create and manage a shared (among
> > multiple users) cache of render-ready documents; the help-server generates
> > render-ready (e.g.  html) documents on demand or serves them via it's cache.
> > Since no user process needs to write to the cache, there is no security issue.
> > Help-server is probably a bad name; document server might be better.
> >
> > The help/doc-server could either permit direct read access to the cache, or
> > simply serve up documents like a traditional web server, over http.  If we go
> > with the web server route, there are many open-source web-servers, we would
> > simply create a backend (cgi, servlet, ...)  to generate the render-ready
> > document format (html) and manage a cache.
> >
> > For browser clients, the browser cache could provide local per-user speed-up
> > for web format (html, pdf, etc.) document access.
> >

> I very much like the idea of some sort of caching or help server
> system, but it's clear to me that if we are going to implement
> something along these lines, I/we will need some hacker help. I'm
> making good progress on the xslt docs generation system, and having
> much fun doing it, but I don't want to add another big complex (at
> least for me) hacking task to my list.

  Reusing the chunking stylesheets of Norm might be a solution, I added
them in the regression tests of libxslt 0.13.0
   xsltproc -o ./result/xtchunk/html/gdp-handbook ./html/xtchunk.xsl test/gdp-handbook.xml

 seems to work just fine,

Daniel

Sep 17-18 2001 Brussels Red Hat TechWorld http://www.redhat-techworld.com