Re: Publishing HTML

Hi Dan,

I was suggesting that a help-server could create and manage a shared (among
multiple users) cache of render-ready documents; the help-server generates
render-ready (e.g.  html) documents on demand or serves them via it's cache.
Since no user process needs to write to the cache, there is no security issue.
Help-server is probably a bad name; document server might be better.

The help/doc-server could either permit direct read access to the cache, or
simply serve up documents like a traditional web server, over http.  If we go
with the web server route, there are many open-source web-servers, we would
simply create a backend (cgi, servlet, ...)  to generate the render-ready
document format (html) and manage a cache.

For browser clients, the browser cache could provide local per-user speed-up
for web format (html, pdf, etc.) document access.

Colm.