caching help (was Re: Publishing HTML)

On Tue, Jun 26, 2001 at 05:54:00PM +0100, Colm Smyth wrote:
> Hi Dan,
>
> I was suggesting that a help-server could create and manage a shared (among
> multiple users) cache of render-ready documents; the help-server generates
> render-ready (e.g.  html) documents on demand or serves them via it's cache.
> Since no user process needs to write to the cache, there is no security issue.
> Help-server is probably a bad name; document server might be better.
>
> The help/doc-server could either permit direct read access to the cache, or
> simply serve up documents like a traditional web server, over http.  If we go
> with the web server route, there are many open-source web-servers, we would
> simply create a backend (cgi, servlet, ...)  to generate the render-ready
> document format (html) and manage a cache.
>
> For browser clients, the browser cache could provide local per-user speed-up
> for web format (html, pdf, etc.) document access.

I very much like the idea of some sort of caching or help server
system, but it's clear to me that if we are going to implement
something along these lines, I/we will need some hacker help. I'm
making good progress on the xslt docs generation system, and having
much fun doing it, but I don't want to add another big complex (at
least for me) hacking task to my list.

Perhaps once we work out a more clear idea of exactly how we want this
to work, it would be a good item for gnome-love?

Cheers,
--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h), http://www.inkstain.net/fleck/