Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 07:10:43PM +0100, Telsa Gwynne wrote:
> On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 05:38:16PM +0100 or thereabouts, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> > There are three reasons why we chose to call this key Return rather than
> > Enter.
> >
> > First, we do not want to use the term Enter key for both the Return key
> > and the Enter key as in may cases these keys do not do the same thing.
> > For example, in gedit I cannot add a new line by pressing Enter. In
> > GNOME Calculator, I cannot calculate a sum by pressing Return.
>
> I vote we don't use the names at all, use DocBook and its keysym,
> keycode and keycap tags, have a nifty "what does this key look like?"
> druid people can answer, and then have the stylesheet draw little
> pictures of the key every time it's needed.
>
> So there :)
>
> (Ye gods, I wish we could, actually: this would be so cute :))

Even if you *can* do that, it won't help at the console. You'll still
need `enter' or `return' as an alt tag.

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

In one piece of email people were suggesting that Office had to work equally
well with all browsers and that we shouldn't force Office users to use our
browser. This is wrong and I wanted to correct this.
	--Bill Gates, January 1997.