Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 04:57:59PM -0400 or thereabouts, David Merrill wrote:
> > > There are three reasons why we chose to call this key Return rather than
> > > Enter.
> > I vote we don't use the names at all, use DocBook and its keysym,
> > keycode and keycap tags, have a nifty "what does this key look like?"
> > druid people can answer, and then have the stylesheet draw little
> > pictures of the key every time it's needed.
> >
> > (Ye gods, I wish we could, actually: this would be so cute :))
>
> Even if you *can* do that, it won't help at the console. You'll still
> need `enter' or `return' as an alt tag.

Why? Use <keycap>foo</keycap> and have "foo" as what shows up
for the alt tag.

I've suggested this "we could use a stylesheet!" thing for several
things like this before, notably mouse buttons (sorry, Dan!) and
there's always been reasons why we can't, so I doubt we'll face
this problem for a while yet :)

Telsa