Re: Help API for GNOME 2.0

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 01:44:34AM -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:

> On 11 Jul 2001, Gregory Leblanc wrote:
>
> > On 10 Jul 2001 16:34:52 -0500, Dan Mueth wrote:
> > > The main question we need to answer is whether we want to support
> > > HTML-only help browsers. If we can assume that the only help browsers
> > > people want to run can handle SGML/XML (ie. Nautilus), then we can do
> > > something simple like:
> >
> > Hmm.  At this point, there are only two browsers that I know of which
> > are planning to support viewing DocBook docs natively, and both are
> > still in development (KDE and GNOME, if that wasn't obvious).
>
> I think this is right.  I imagine at least one of these will fork off a
> web-application so that people can have help browsers built into their web
> pages (somebody emailed the ScrollKeeper list about doing this, and I
> think the LDP likes to have these sort of web apps too).  I wouldn't be
> surprised if somebody decided to build a light-weight single-purpose help
> browser for GNOME off of the code in Nautilus - especially if we move it
> into gnome-libs.  But right now, I think it is just the two: KDE and
> GNOME.

I want to be able to serve LDP docs using scrollkeeper and cgi with
perl or python. I also want to be able to browse help using lynx or
another text mode browser. You shouldn't have to be running a GUI to
read help!

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

When people understand what Microsoft is up to, they're outraged.
	--Tim O'Reilly, O'Reilly & Associates