Re: GNOME Documentation Style Guide

On Thu, Jul 12, 2001 at 05:38:16PM +0100 or thereabouts, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> Thanks for taking the time to review and comment on the style guide and
> wordlist. We considered many of the points you raised during the heated
> discussions of our documentation team, and I have detailed why we chose
> what we chose below.

Thank you for a very clear set of replies. Some of this we had already
hashed out on IRC.

> There are three reasons why we chose to call this key Return rather than
> Enter.
>
> First, we do not want to use the term Enter key for both the Return key
> and the Enter key as in may cases these keys do not do the same thing.
> For example, in gedit I cannot add a new line by pressing Enter. In
> GNOME Calculator, I cannot calculate a sum by pressing Return.

I vote we don't use the names at all, use DocBook and its keysym,
keycode and keycap tags, have a nifty "what does this key look like?"
druid people can answer, and then have the stylesheet draw little
pictures of the key every time it's needed.

So there :)

(Ye gods, I wish we could, actually: this would be so cute :))

Telsa