Re: Standard docbook Makefile.am recipe

Damon Chaplin <damon helixcode com> writes:

> Federico Mena Quintero wrote:
>
> > I have cooked up a fairly decent set of Makefile.am's under
> > evolution/doc/devel/*.  They only rebuild the documentation when the
> > source files change and in general it seems that they do the right
> > thing.
> >
> > Can anyone confirm this?  If it is actually doing the right thing, we
> > may want to create templates out of them and put them in the gtk-doc
> > documentation.
>
> I've been thinking of changing gtk-doc so it doesn't overwrite the tmpl/
> and sgml/ files if they don't need to be changed. i.e. it will write to
> a temporary file first and do a cmp to see if it has changed. (Is cmp
> portable by the way, or is it safer to do this in Perl?)

cmp is used in the GTK+ makefiles for a similar purpose.

> That should cut down on a lot of unnecessary rebuilding of the HTML.

Sounds like a good idea.

I'd really like to figure out some way to radically simplify the
process of setting up and using gtk-doc, but I don't have any decent
ideas of how to do.

(Perhaps some of the non-user-touched files like MODULE-decl.txt
could be moved into a hidden subdir. Perhaps MODULE-overrides.txt
could be integrated into MODULE-sections.txt. But those are small
changes.)

Regards,
                                        Owen