Re: themes for GNOME2 docs

On Thu, Dec 20, 2001 at 04:00:16PM +1000, Nicholas Curran offered:
> I want to put forward the suggestion that instead of using just plain
> pictures in our DocBook files, we should consider placing information in
> them that the user's system can use to generate a screenshot, using the
> user's own theme.  It could be done on the fly, like the conversion from
> XML to HTML.

In theory, I think that idea kicks ass. Practically speaking however, I can see
a few problems, the most important of which being more overhead in the GNOME
environment. I won't go into the "worry about older machines" topic since
that's going on else where, but there has been and continues to be a
significant effort to make things as quick and as smooth as possible in
regards to the whole documenation mechanisms.

Using the "plain-GNOME" default theme sounds hunky-doory to me. Having actually
never seen drop shadows, except closing my eyes & extrapolating in my mind,
doesn't sound like it would really be that confusing to see. However since I'm
a complete lazy ass I would worry about the work involved.

BTW, kudos, and kudos again to those who worked on integrating the building of
docs. If I'm successfully able to hide from my family members, and mother
nature decides she has had enough with the "snowing all the time" gag, I'll
try it out and implement.

Happy freaking holidays,
TC