Re: themes for GNOME2 docs

On Mon, 2001-12-17 at 11:36, Eugene O'Connor wrote:
> I think the most sensible option is to use the default settings for the
> desktop when you take a screenshot. Currently, the default frame style
> is Crux, and the default theme is Default. If the screenshots reflect
> non-default settings, users will become confused if the screenshots in
> the documentation do not match what appears on the desktop. This would
> impact first time users in particular.

Ah, but which default settings?  The ones from the original source, the
ones from Red Hat, the ones from Ximian, the ones from Sun, the ones
from Debian...

If we say "use the defaults", we're not going to have consistent
screenshots, because different people will have different defaults.  I
think we need to specify what themes and such to use, to ensure that our
documentation is consistent.  Offhand, it makes the most sense to me to
use whatever the default that ships from source is.  Havoc just posted a
mail on this topic to the gnome-redhat-list, but I think it's relevant
in a lot more places than just there.  Here's a link to that message.
http://mail.gnome.org/archives/gnome-redhat-list/2001-December/msg00030.html

> I suggest that the GDP handbook should state that screenshots should use
> the default settings rather than specify a particular frame style and
> theme. It might be a good idea to document the default settings
> somewhere - so that when we are taking screenshots, we can ensure that
> our desktops use the default settings.

Yeah, this sounds great, if we can get the default themes to all be
fairly consistent and work well with each other.  Right now, I don't
think they do this very well.  Hmm, perhaps this is something to be
mentioned to the usability people.
[snipped, for brevity]
	Greg

--