Re: Gnome Help Browser

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 10:40:44AM -0600, John Fleck wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 10:07:52PM +0800, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> > On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 09:51:00AM -0400, Alexander Kirillov wrote:
> > >
> > > There is also a problem with links: if you use just a web browser,
> > > then the cross-linking between docs (given by <ulink type="help"
> > > url="gnome-help:nautilus">, or something like this) will likely to be
> > > broken, because a web browser know nothing about gnome-help
> > > protocol. Or this needs to be solved when doing docbook->html
> > > transformation. Same problem with <xref>'s
> >
> > That is not a problem for the browser, it's a problem for the db2html
> > program. Using db2html means that with a certain xslt set, all the
> > utput will be valid html that can be loaded into any browser.
> >

> I think Sasha is right here. A help browser needs to understand what
> do with a "gnome-help:foo", "man:foo" or "info:food" URL, or linking
> between and among documents will not work. You're right that if we
> do gnome-db2htl3 right it will output valid html, but the browser
> still needs the additional ability to know that when it sees a GNOME
> help-related url it needs to hand it off to the help system.

I don't see how that follows. Yes, the *system* has to know how to
translate man:foo, but that doesn't mean the browser has to do it. Why
can't the browser talk to the library using http post?

Linux Documentation Project                   david lupercalia net

Free Dmitry Sklyarov!  http://www.freesklyarov.org
Washington DC Protests http://www.lupercalia.net/dmca

And let's face facts. innovation has never been Microsoft's strong suite.
We're much better at ripping off our competitors. For example, we did not
invent either ASP or IE, we bought them!
	--E-mail from an unidentified Microsoft employee,
	  as revealed in the antitrust trial