Re: Gnome Help Browser

On Sun, Aug 19, 2001 at 03:31:07PM -0400, David Merrill wrote:

> > I think Sasha is right here. A help browser needs to understand what
> > do with a "gnome-help:foo", "man:foo" or "info:food" URL, or linking
> > between and among documents will not work. You're right that if we
> > do gnome-db2htl3 right it will output valid html, but the browser
> > still needs the additional ability to know that when it sees a GNOME
> > help-related url it needs to hand it off to the help system.
>
> I don't see how that follows. Yes, the *system* has to know how to
> translate man:foo, but that doesn't mean the browser has to do it. Why
> can't the browser talk to the library using http post?

David, could you explain in more detail what you mean here? I'd love a
system that could use any browser rather than one that has to be
specially designed to handle our various help urls.

How would an arbitrary browser that did not know anything about
"gnome-help:foo" or "man:foo" or "info:foo" urls use http post to
access the help system when it saw such a url? Or, alternatively, is
there a different way we could construct our urls so an arbitrary
browser would know, "Hey, this isn't an ordinary http or file url, I'd
better send it off to the help system."

Cheers,
--
John Fleck