Re: dia outline

On Tue, Sep 05, 2000 at 06:50:52AM -0500, Kevin Breit wrote:
> On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:56:51PM -0700, Kenny Graunke wrote:
> > I agree completely. A QuickStart is no place for marketing, "What is this?",
> > or impressive screenshots. This material belongs more in an "Introduction"
> > section, where you can answer basic things like "What is dia?", "What can it do
> > for me?", and so on. This would also be great material for each app's website
> > (if it has one). A good QuickStart section shows people the basic things they
> > need to do common, simple tasks.
> Okay, let me reword my comment.  Dan and I feel it's kind of something which
> the average user will sit down and say "Do I really want to keep reading this?
> Will this serve a purpose to me?
> Kevin
> --

In fact, there's no reason it can't do both - marketing and
substance. In fact, it probably should. My guess is we're all talking
about the same thing here, but saying it in different ways. This
introductory section has gotta be

a) sexy enough to entice readers into the doc (hence marketing)
b) substantive enough to answer the sort of questions Kenny is posing

--
John Fleck
jfleck inkstain net (h)