Re: dia outline

On Mon, Sep 04, 2000 at 11:40:37AM +1100, Malcolm Tredinnick wrote:
> Probably time to decloak on this list and contribute something...
Welcome!

> (1) A lot of it if pretty specific to the particular way that Dia works, isn't
> it? I'm wondering which parts you see as being part of the template. I like the
> idea of having a flow of instructions that let the beginner get started
> immediately and let the more advanced person learn everything they want to about
> specific components. That is certainly a model to preserve in a template. Are
> there other "common" portions that I've overlooked?
Yeah.  This is a Dia outline.  But it's a prototype to what future templates and
outlines may follow.  Basically, I use the term "Concept based instead of UI
based".  We used to go through each menu, say what it did, and let the user
figure out how to put them together to actually work. For concept based, you
describe the tasks of the program, and how to do them.  As you can see, we don't
go through each menu and say what everything does.
> Assuming Dia uses the gnome-print components (and I have to admit that I'm not
> familiar enough with it to know), won't this be the same as every single
> other product that uses the printer? Are there any moves to have a Basic Gnome
> Users Guide type of section on printing?
Yes, I believe that Dia uses GNOME print.  I would assume that there will be a
basic Gnome user's guide in the future, with printing included.  However, I am
not sure how smart it is to make documentation have dependencies on other
documentation.
I hope this answered a few questions!
Kevin
--