Re: nautilus sgml viewer.

On Wed, 25 Oct 2000, Karl Eichwalder wrote:

> Ali Abdin <aliabdin aucegypt edu> writes:
>
> > I don't think people are going to do this :( (people want to preserve the
> > entities within their doc, not make them disappear)
>
> Sigh, again.  Install nomralized SGML files (= XML) and the animal will
> fly.  For authoring purposes you'll keep the files with entities, of
> course.  Makefile with pseudo commands:
>
>     install:
>             sgmlnorm FILE.sgml | sx > FILE.xml
>             install FILE.xml datadir/.../help/FILE.xml
>
> Is this so difficult to understand?  Please, move your brain :)

And I told you, application authors are probably not gonna be willing to
go through this hassle (they would prefer to just install the SGML file
and voila).

I _PERSONALLY_ have no objection if people use sgmlnorm. But:

A) I don't think Dan Mueth is going to make it GDP policy
and
B) It is up to you to convince individual application authors to add this
step to their Makefile.am file

also C) I (and probably many others) do not have sgmlnorm installed. I
don't even know where to find it :P

> > > and you can use XML tools.  BTW, DOM works with SGML files, too; maybe,
> > > libxml is limited to XML.
>
> > I don't think libxml likes the fact that some tags could never be
> > closed.  According to one of my conversations with Daniel Veillard, we
> > need DocBook XML if we wish to use DOM.
>
> He's write, but that's why I said you should use tools which are
> available...  sgmlnorm and sx...  XML is a buzzword.  XML is nothing or
> than normalized SGML.  XML _is_ SGML.

Yes - I was just alluding to the fact that libxml can only handle XML
documents and not the broader SGML documents.

Regards,
Ali