Re: question about RMB

--text follows this line--

Hi all:
I'd like this thread to come to some kind of  conclusion. Let me
summarize the options suggested so far as I see them:

 ------Option one - use left/right notation----------

  -add (probably in "Intro to gnome") a subsection "conventions"
   describing mouse buttons and saying that for left-handed mouse,
   users need to replace left<->right:
   use *left* mouse button whenever a document talks about
   "right-clicking"

 - copy some of this info in control center documentation (Mouse capplet)

 - in our docs, use just "click", "middle-click" and "right-click" (no
   "left-click"), and every occurence of "middle" (and possibly
   "right"?) should be linked to this "conventions" section:

   "to move an applet, drag it with <ulink type="help"
   url="gnome-help:gnome-intro?conventions">middle mouse
   button</ulink>"

  (of course, it is easier to do so using entities declared in each
   document)

   Also: in the beginning of every doc, we could add a sentence like
   this:

   "For description of mouse buttons and clicks and related
   terminology, see <ulink ...>Intro to GNOME</ulink>"

  -large docs and books that can be published in paper/web form (such
   as FAQs, Evolution docs, etc) can just copy this "conventions"
   section

 ------------option 2: use MB1/2/3 -----------------

   Similar to above, but:

  - "conventions" would say that for right handed mouse buttons are
   placed like this :1 <2> 3 and for  left-haded, mouse buttons are
   3 <2> 1

  - all occurences of MB* in docs should contain links to "conventions"
    - this includes MB1 if you ever need to use it explicitly.

Variant (applies to both options): use in docs "context-click" instead
of "right-click"/"click with MB3" - also with a link.

I think that all arguments have been said - it is time to choose one
of these options. I could live with both of them, but would prefer the
first one. Either way, I think it is necessary to include this
conventions section - saving us the need to explain in every doc how
one presses middle button on a two-button mouse is good enough
reason.

Sasha

-----------------

PS: below is a possible text of the "Conventions" section - just to
give you an idea, it is very preliminary at the moment.

   "Most GNOME documents assume that you are using a standard (for
   UNIX) 3-button mouse and talk about left, right, and middle mouse
   buttons; if a document says "click" without explicitly specifying
   the button, the left button is assumed. Some documents use
   notations "MB1", MB2 MB3 for left, middle, and right buttons
   respectively (which is technically more correct, but also more
   confusing).

   If you are using a two-button mouse, you can emulate the middle MB by
   pressing left and right buttons simultaneoulsy; if you have a wheel
   mouse, the wheel can be used in place of the middle mouse button.

   If you are left-handed, you can switch the roles of the buttons
   using Gnome Control Center; if you have done so, you need to use
   the right mouse button  whenever document instructs you to click, and
   use *left* mouse button whenever a document talks about
   "right-clicking".

  If you use a mouse with some unusual placement of buttons, a
  trackball, or some other input device, you need
  to find out which buttons correspond to "right", "left" and
  "middle"; this information can usually be found in the manual which
  came with your device.

--------------
Or another version, if we decide to choose MB1/2/3 conventions:

  "Most GNOME documents assume that you are using a standard (for
   UNIX) 3-button mouse. It is common to refer to mouse buttons by
   numbers: MB1, MB2, MB3. If you are using a usual 3-button mouse,
   then MB1 is left,  MB2 is middle, and MB3 is left; if you are using
   2-button mouse, MB1 is left, MB3 is right, and you can emulate MB2
   by simultaneously pressing left and right mouse buttons. If you are
   using a wheel mouse, the wheel plays the role of MB2.

    If a document says "click" without explicitly specifyong
   the button, mouse  button 1  is assumed.

   If you are left-handed, you can switch the roles of the buttons
   using Gnome Control Center; if you do so, MB1 will be the right
   one, MB2 middle, and MB3 left.  If you use a mouse with some
   unusual placement of buttons, a trackball, or some other input
   device, you need to find out which buttons correspond to MB1, MB2,
   nad MB3. Usually MB1 is the "default" one - the one under your
   index finger."