Re: 1.4 updates

On Mon, 9 Oct 2000, John Sheehan wrote:

> Ali Abdin wrote:
>

> > Some of my comments still apply though - Set bug-buddy (by default) to report
> > bugs to sun. The /GNOME/ docs should say report bugs using bug-buddy - but
> > "extra" GNOME apps shouldn't.
> >

> Setting bug-buddy to direct bugs to Sun is a possibility, but raises 2 issues:
>
>   - The documentation suggests that the bugs are going to bugs.gnome.org (even
>     if they are being routed to Sun)

Yeah - I was thinking about this and I agree with you. Bugs reported by
bug-buddy should go to bugs.gnome.org by default. (I believe it is Sun's
responsibility to trawl through the bugs.gnome.org archive and fix bugs
(if thats what they wish)).

>   - The Sun support organisation already has well defined processes and tools
>     for its customers to report Solaris bugs (and indeed all Sun product bugs).
>     We're making Gnome the default desktop for Solaris, and customers will want
>     and expect to report bugs through the normal Sun support interfaces, not
>     through bug-buddy.  Ultimately, appropriate bugs would make their way from
>     the support organisation into bugs.gnome.org.

You could write your own document about Solaris & GNOME (and include bug
reporting stuff in there). The reason I say this is because it will be
difficult to change all the docs out there. Also some GNOME app authors
may "refuse" to change their docs at the whim of one/any corporation
(i.e. it is up to the corporation to change the docs).

I think the best solution is to write this Solaris & GNOME Document.
Perhaps create a 'default link' to it on the Desktop (and have it load up
on the default session)

Regards,
Ali