RE: 1.4 updates

Caution, heavy duty snippage ahead.

[snip]

> How should we do this?  We could use parameter entities in
> the DTD, but we
> should very strongly avoid this IMO since it means we are no longer
> strictly DocBook-compliant. So, unless I'm missing something,

I agree with that reasoning, we've already made trouble when we used the
Gnome PNG variant (I still have to remember to re-install that when I build
a new machine), and I think we really need to avoid this, if at all
possible.  Can we get the templates updated for DocBook 4 Doctype
declarations, or is that premature?

> we have to
> use external entities.  Two methods come to mind here.  One
> is to specify
> an absolute path for the entity.  I don't think this is
> viable since we
> can't maintain the same absolute path on all systems.  So, I
> think we have
> to use symbolic links which are created at install time.  For
> example, we
> may have an entity 'docbugsblurb.sgml' in
> $PREFIX/help/entities and then
> make a symbolic link from every $PREFIX/<docname>/<languagename>/ to
> it.  I don't like this a lot, but I don't see any better
> solutions.  If my
> memory is correct, this is also how KDE does it.
>
> These entities should be installed by gnome-core or
> gnome-libs, as with
> the GFDL and GPL docs.  (I forget which package we decided on.)
>
> Thoughts?

Sounds great to me, especially since this will make changes like the ones
that John and I have been working on (the gnome-help:gpl/fdl) much easier.
	Greg