Re: "Meta" packages

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 01:59:16PM +0300 or thereabouts, Ali Abdin wrote:
> > ...I already have much of this in the FAQ. The "what are all these
> > packages, what do they do?" thing needs rewriting to be -clearer-
> > to read, but I think the information is all in there. It will of

> Yeah - I know its in your FAQ - I was gonna suggest just using/pointing
> people to your FAQ.
>
> Unfortunately though - I've noticed in the past people usually don't give
> a shit about the FAQ. Then developers get pissed and say "read the
> fucking FAQ" then users get alienated etc.

I've noticed that too :)

> I think it should be a /seperate/ document on www.gnome.org that is
> _JUST_ for the purpose of installing/upgrading to GNOME 1.4 - That way
> there is no searching/hunting etc. You click on 'Download GNOME 1.4' you
> are taken to this page that gives you STEP by STEP instructions.
>
> I think this will prove more successful (and more newbie friendly) than
> the 'its in the FAQ' approach.

Ali, I agree with you totally. I was just saying "the info is there"
to give anyone who wants to do it a head-start. It took a while of
poking to get some things and answers which make sense for things like,
"what exactly -does- CORBA do?", so if it saves people time, use it :)

I do agree that such a document, or release-notes, or whatever, that
is not a FAQ would be a good thing. I imagine that for Helix it will
consist of "get your Helix updates here!" but there's always going to
be some people who can't (Slackware users are particularly vocal about
this one) and who will need to know what packages they need.

I think it should also include:

	o What the bare minimum download is (think 28.8s :)). ie,
    the stuff for a basic desktop without all the apps that go on
    top, so that people can get that and then get apps or combinations
    of apps separately.
	o Following on from that, what you need to get on top of that
    for particular popular packages and combinations (is gnome-icu in
    "core gnome", for example? If not, what you need for that is an
    obvious candidate).
	o Clear explanation of what is: "stable", "unstable", and
    "stable but you can compile it against unstable libs if you want
    to have extra stuff".

I think I should also subscribe to gnome-1.4 list before spouting off
any more: it's possible they have this well in hand already. :)

Telsa