Re: "Meta" packages

On Tue, 3 Oct 2000, Telsa Gwynne wrote:

> On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:00:52AM +0300 or thereabouts, Ali Abdin wrote:
> > On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, John Fleck wrote:
> > > I'm cc:ing the gnome-docs list:
>
> I agree. October GNOME had an excellent 'starting with all this' document
> at the same time it was announced. 1.2 didn't, really. It was mostly,
> "here's the tarballs or get it from Helix" and then lots of people
> posting specfile patches to gnome-list or gnotices.

> > > This is a terrific idea. It also should include an explanation of what
> > > role each package plays, and which ones are necessary vs. optional.
> >
> > Yes - you could use telsa's FAQ as a basis for this.
>
> Nod. With the exception of this, which is a good idea:
>
> ...I already have much of this in the FAQ. The "what are all these
> packages, what do they do?" thing needs rewriting to be -clearer-
> to read, but I think the information is all in there. It will of
> course need updating for 1.4 -- but there's a reason I put it
> into a 1.2 subdirectory in CVS, and having sister directories of
> 1.4 and 2.0 FAQ contents is it :)

Yeah - I know its in your FAQ - I was gonna suggest just using/pointing
people to your FAQ.

Unfortunately though - I've noticed in the past people usually don't give
a shit about the FAQ. Then developers get pissed and say "read the
fucking FAQ" then users get alienated etc.

I think it should be a /seperate/ document on www.gnome.org that is
_JUST_ for the purpose of installing/upgrading to GNOME 1.4 - That way
there is no searching/hunting etc. You click on 'Download GNOME 1.4' you
are taken to this page that gives you STEP by STEP instructions.

I think this will prove more successful (and more newbie friendly) than
the 'its in the FAQ' approach.

Regards,
Ali