Re: "Meta" packages

On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 11:00:52AM +0300 or thereabouts, Ali Abdin wrote:
> On Mon, 2 Oct 2000, John Fleck wrote:
> > I'm cc:ing the gnome-docs list:
> > On Tue, Oct 03, 2000 at 01:23:09AM -0200, Ali Abdin wrote:
> > > I think the GDP crew needs to write a 'Installing GNOME 1.4' document
> > > /before/ the release. When I first started using Linux, I was directed

I agree. October GNOME had an excellent 'starting with all this' document
at the same time it was announced. 1.2 didn't, really. It was mostly,
"here's the tarballs or get it from Helix" and then lots of people
posting specfile patches to gnome-list or gnotices.

> > > What I would think needs to be covered is: ...
> >
> > This is a terrific idea. It also should include an explanation of what
> > role each package plays, and which ones are necessary vs. optional.
>
> Yes - you could use telsa's FAQ as a basis for this.

Nod. With the exception of this, which is a good idea:
> > > There should be a section on Installing from scratch and 'Upgrading'

...I already have much of this in the FAQ. The "what are all these
packages, what do they do?" thing needs rewriting to be -clearer-
to read, but I think the information is all in there. It will of
course need updating for 1.4 -- but there's a reason I put it
into a 1.2 subdirectory in CVS, and having sister directories of
1.4 and 2.0 FAQ contents is it :)

Telsa