XSL/XSLT (was Re: A thought:)

By the way...

For some more info on XSL and XML, I found this in the sample chapter of the
XML Bible:

There are three primary ways XML documents are transformed into other formats,
such as HTML, with an XSL style sheet:

1) The XML document and associated style sheet are both served to the client
(Web browser), which then transforms the document as specified by the style
sheet and presents it to the user.

2) The server applies an XSL style sheet to an XML document to transform it
to some other format (generally HTML) and sends the transformed document to
the client (Web browser).

3) A third program transforms the original XML document into some other
format (often HTML) before the document is placed on the server. Both server
and client only deal with the post-transform document.

gnome-db2html2 would fall under #3 I think.

But, we can elminiate the need for gnome-db2html2 entirely if Mozilla supports
XSL :) (we would now fall under approach #1)

This also has ramifications for the ScrollKeeper project. For DocBook XML
documents it can just apply an XSL stylesheet and return HTML for example
(this if for the "server-side" part of ScrollKeeper) - that would fall under
#2 I think. This would be good for ScrollKeeper because it wouldn't need to
use some GNOME specific, semi-broken DocBook -> HTML hack^H^H^H^Hconverter.

Regards,
Ali