Re: New GNOME Book

> First and foremost, we are a GNU project (http://www.gnu.org) and, as
> such, do not link against *anything* - be it a library, widget, or
> document that is not covered by an appropriate free (as in freedom)
> license. In the case of documentation that license would have to at
> least be comparable to the Free Documentation License
> (http://www.gnu.org/copyleft/fdl.html).

I had thought that might be a problem. The FDL has been a major topic of late.

> We can, however make a link to your book from the web
> site as an alternative source of documentation as long as MacMillan
> places no restrictions on us doing so, or restricts the manner in
> which we make such a link.

That would be great.

> As to your involvement with the GNOME Documentation Project - we would
> LOVE to have you join in the fun and help us make the free
> documentation the best we can possibly make it. Please make sure your
> contract with MacMillan contains no "Right of First Refusal" clause
> before putting any of your GNOME documentation under the FDL and joining
> in though - publishers don't often like writers working on the same
> topic for someone else.
>
> Hope to see you writing with us soon!

Thanks! I've started docs for the GDP, but haven't been able to finish them
because of the book (must pay rent and buy groceries before contributing to
free software project). I'll get started right away.

Judith