Re: web control applet draft, question

<Pine.SOL.4.05.10002201826060.22052-100000@margay.noc.ucla.edu>
From: "David C. Mason" <dcm@redhat.com>
Date: 20 Feb 2000 21:44:40 -0500

"FALLON,DAVID JOSEPH" <dfallon@ucla.edu> writes:

> This gets into another sticky issue, what's the "default" gnome
> configuration.... because, of course, whatever that is should be
> what we're doing with the screenshots. Frankly, I don't think it
> should be the default GTK theme, as it looks like crap. :)

You must be one of those "NEXT is God" guys ;) - I don't think it
looks like crap, and quite honestly since it is called "default" and
is the *default* gtk theme - I think we should use it.

> This also gets into the debate of what the default window manager
> should be... (sawmill). :)

Well, when I first did the User's Guide I wanted to have different wm
styles to 'showcase' the fact that you can have different wm's. I then
decided it was a bad idea and used the E Big Clean theme as it was
default on RH, the only one to ship GNOME with a default wm at the
time... and my employer.

Now, I don't know.

I agree with you that this (once again) brings up the problems posed
by *not* having a default wm. I would personally vote for using the
default theme for sawmill as it is:

a) the smallest gnome-compliant wm to grab
b) the easiest gnome-compliant wm to configure
c) the best wm to work with gnome

All, of course, in my opinion. I think we will see more of sawmill in
the future and perhaps we should suggest(again) for gnome to have a
default wm on the ftp site.

Dave